Summer Learning Programs: Why They’re Important and How to Choose One
As a parent, you want what’s best for your child. You want them to enjoy a summer full of adventures and memories. However, as the summer break approaches, you may start to worry about the effects of a long break and your child forgetting some of what they learned during the school year.
Your worries about summer slide, the term used to describe the loss of academic skills and knowledge over the summer break, are not unfounded. Research has shown that children lose on average a month of reading achievement over the summer and fall behind their peers who attend quality summer learning programs.
Couple the summer break with two school years full of learning disruptions due to COVID-19, and the need to keep children learning in order to stay at grade-level expectations is even more crucial. Summer programs can provide the boost many children presently need.
What can you do to help your child this summer?
One way to help your child avoid the summer slide is to enroll them in a summer learning program—and the good news is that your child does not need to lose their “fun time” to learn. High-quality summer programs, like Adaptively’s live, small online groups are effective, because we know kids learn best when they are having fun!
Enrolling your child in a summer learning program can help them retain what they’ve learned and even get ahead for the next school year.
There are so many benefits beyond learning.
When you find a quality summer learning program for your child, you can also feel good that your child will gain benefits beyond academics. Summer programs:
- keep kids’ boredom at bay throughout the summer.
- offer opportunities to socialize and make new friends.
- continue some level of structure and routine.
- boost overall confidence—active minds feel good!
- promote creative thinking and problem-solving.
Find the right programs for your child.
Here are a few considerations and questions to help guide your search for a quality summer learning program.
- Does the program meet your child’s needs? If your child is struggling in a particular subject, look for a program with a proven curriculum that can help them catch up.
- Does the program have flexibility and fit your work schedule and availability? Summers get busy with travel and other activities. With online learning options like Adaptively, your child can participate from home or anywhere your family’s adventures take you.
- Can the program offer personalized attention/low student-teacher ratios?
- Does the program have qualified teaching staff to ensure the best learning experience for your child?
Summer learning programs are an excellent way to help your child stay sharp and engaged over the summer break. With so many options, you’re sure to find one that’s a perfect fit for your family. Adaptively offers engaging enrichment programs that bring games, interaction, and creativity to level up the fun factor this summer. Visit our website to learn more about our exciting options, or enroll today!